Summer is host to a multitude of trends and staples that return refreshed and restored to their former greatness time and time again. The beauty of summer fashion (besides the obvious) is the ability to mix-and-match veteran pieces with the season’s hottest trends. From the classics to “it” accessories, here are 5 Summer Staples every gal should have in her wardrobe.
1. Dress to Impress: A flirty frock, like this one from Topshop is a must-have. Whether solid black or white, a bold bright, or festooned with a floral print, a summer dress is always a reliable (and cute) option for those sweltering days and nights. Strappy sandals or trendy wedges transition the look into evening, while tasteful jewelry amps up the glamour for a dressier occasion, no pun intended.
2. A Plain White Tee: Never underestimate the white tee (or tank). This simple, but very versatile item, can be worn with many a bottom. Paired with casual denim, it evokes an Aniston-esque quality of SoCal-cool. When worn with a maxi skirt, it is both trendy and comfortable. Fancy that!
3. Here Comes the…Shade? Chic sunglasses are a wise investment for summer. Sun exposure is at an annual high during this time, and our pretty peepers ought to be protected from Mr. Sun in style. From the classic wayfarer to the more retro cat-eye, there is a frame for every fashionista.
4. Draw Straws: Floppy hats and straw fedoras are a summer necessity. Not only are they simply chic, but they also score major points in both sun protection and keeping us gals cool, literally and figuratively, when temperatures rise.
5. At the Wedge of your Feet: Wedge-sandals are this season’s “it” shoe of choice. While available in a variety of colors, prints, and materials, I prefer a wedge in classic straw or leather. By investing in a more basic option, you maximize your wedge’s versatility when paired with other items in your closet. From short-shorts to dazzling dresses and floor-grazing skirts, there is no hemline a wedge can’t handle.
The aforementioned items are successful in their flexibility and interchangeability with one another. When shopping, it is important to consider potential purchases, in addition to the ones already in your closet. Like the pieces of a puzzle, putting together an outfit requires equal parts thought and consideration to ensure the perfect fit.
What items are at the top of your “must-have” list? How do you plan on wearing the season’s boldest trends with the timeless classics of seasons’ past?
Tags: Ali Larter, classics, dresses, fashion, floppy hat, leather wedges, must have items, retro, straw fedora, straw wedges, style, summer, sunglasses, Taylor Swift, trends, wardrobe, wayfarer, wedges, white t-shirt